when anticommunists tell u that “you havent paid attention to history” or “you need to study history” what theyre really saying is “why wont you take at face value the biased and often reductionist history you were taught by capitalists about why socialism is evil”. when they talk about “studying history” theyre not interested in talking about every coup the cia backed, every terrorist group the us funded in order to “fight communists”, every war that imperialist powers started over profit, or every innocent person killed in those wars. they dont want to talk about the history of violent racism and police brutality, or about every person the us government has tortured, or the history of suppression of leftists and the working class, or how companies fund right wing death squads, they just want to say “the ussr is why communism is bad”
ok since this post made a lot of people who cant stand to see capitalism critiqued in any form mad im going to provide sources for all the shit im talking about.
- list of us involvement in regime changes and heres a notable one when the cia helped overthrow the democratically elected socialist president of chile and replaced him with a fascist dictator who was responsible for thousands of deaths
- oh here, 35 countries where the us supported fascists drug lords and terrorists
- that time when reagan supported and funded islamic extremists because they were “fighting communists”, now go forward a decade or so and the us thinks islamic extremism is a huge threat
- a timeline of atrocities committed by the cia– did you know the cia took in a bunch of nazis spies right after ww2 so they could help the us once again fight communists?
- when reagan illegally sold weapons to iran and used the money to fund a right wing militia in nicaragua called the contras, who were fighting the left wing socialist sandinistas. oh heres all the human rights violations the contras committed while illegally getting money from the us, home of the free and land of the brave am i right
- torture under the bush administration and by the cia
- us war crimes and the casualties of the iraq war
- btw the us has most likely been lying about the amount of civilian deaths caused by drone strikes and the actual number is way higher than theyre officially saying and this is just from the obama administration
- that time coca cola used right wing death squads to murder and terrorize workers and stop them from unionzing
- nestle using slave labour
- how cointelpro targeted civil rights movements, black power movements, and radical leftists and murdered leaders of the movements
- when the us outlawed the communist party and being involved in communist actions
- and if you didnt know the us uses prison labour where prisoners get payed sometimes only a few dollars a week all for the profit of the prisons
- list of people killed by police by year
if you want to tell leftists they need to study history but you dont want to look at any of the crimes of capital, or the crimes committed in upholding capitalism then you dont give a shit about studying history. if you can recognize that gulags were fucked up and horrible, as you should, you cant turn a blind eye on the american prison system where people are being forced to work for almost no pay. so the question is do you actually care about studying history or do you just want to deflect off every critique of capitalism
And if you think Communism go talk to any person thats lived through it.
Wow never heard that one before in my entire time on this website well played here’s my keys fuck my wife
I’m fairly sure that the people in power under communism will tell you how it was great.
Just like i’m sure people with wealth in capitalism think it’s fantastic. How people with estates are happy that the estate tax is going away. How people who could afford American Health Insurance before the ACA thought it was the best medical system ever. How people who can afford to go to Yale think that America is the best country for education.
Communism sucks. Capitalism sucks. Socialism, also, sucks.
The trick is balancing them out so you get the good and leave the bad.
Want to be rich because you’re uniquely talented and creative? Fucking do it.
Want to get treated for cancer without selling yourself into debt slavery? We can do that too.
Lol RAE that’s dumb as hell. “Fascism sucks, unless you balance it out so you get the good and none of the bad.” What an aggressively centrist thing to say.
Firstly, people forget that capitalism is a descriptive theory, not a prescriptive one. Until human nature itself changes it will be valid.
Secondly, where am I wrong? You not liking a message is entirely irrelevant.
Greed is a powerful motivating factor for societal and personal development. The technological, cultural, and societal advancements that can be traced back to wanting to own more, wanting to be more, wanting to be better than, other people is simply too great to list.
Rome had steam power. Only when steam power was combined with focused greed did the Industrial Revolution happen.
However, history is awash with people who accumulated too much, who’s greed, pride, arrogance, etc. propelled them to absolute barbarism and unabated evil. Which is where the prescriptive economic theories of socialism or communism would be relevant, where “I’m rich” doesn’t have cultural significance outside “good for you.”
You’re literally shitting on the idea of mixed economies. Which is good for you, I guess. The rest of the world will see you later.
Yeah, the rest of the world will see me later when they finally catch up to fully automated luxury space communism. Unfortunately the rest of the world seems pretty busy trying to figure out whether water should be a commodity.
On a side note, this is why social democrats get the stink eye from the left. You’re writing this like you don’t care about inequality, you just want to make sure there’s enough safety nets in place that the proles are happy enough to not riot (i.e. are able to access basic lifesaving medical care) while the Greed is Good rich continue enjoying the lion’s share of the spoils. Hence why your example for affording medical care is “not dying of cancer before selling yourself into debt slavery to treat it” and not “free eyeglasses for those who need them” or whatever.
Also, don’t call yourself DemSoc, please. I noticed you were waffling on the term in some of your other posts. I’ve been DemSoc on this website for six years. Democratic socialism is socialism, not capitalism with a happy face painted on (or, as you put it, a “mixed economy.”) You’re a social democrat, which is fine, but not at all the same thing. Democratic socialists want to bring about socialism through democratic systems rather than revolution. Social democrats want to apply socialist policies to capitalist economies to limit the suffering that is inherent to the system.